Spanning six and a half decades, the Crema Constructions story began with the vision of company founder Gilberto ‘Beppi’ Crema. Arriving from Italy in 1951, Beppi started working with cousins Dino and Terry Camillo, who ran a small terrazzo, concrete and formwork business known as Camillo Brothers. When Dino and Terry returned to Italy in the early 1960s, Beppi refocused the business on concrete and formwork, establishing a new head office in St Kilda.
Under Beppi’s guidance, the Camillo Brothers business expanded in the 1970s, taking on larger building and development projects. During this time the company emerged as a pioneer in the manufacture and use of tilt-up precast construction. Soon, Beppi’s three sons – Luciano, Romeo and Louis – joined the business.